Thanks to Kristina at The Reader for posting this challenge this morning (And Ryan, for posting it to Facebook, where I found it). It is just what I was looking for. The idea is similar to the idea that led to this blog: finally read all those books that have been piling up on my shelf and in my mental “to read” list.
Here’s how it works:
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list forAT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2010 or later. Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2. Every listed book must be completed and must be reviewed in order to count as completed.
3. List must be posted by Saturday, January 15th, 2011, at the Roof Beam Reader website (Challenge host). I will also be posting there periodically, and linking to my reviews of the 12. Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from either Amazon.com or The Book Depository. Incentive is always good.
My Twelve Chosen:
The Bishop’s Man by Linden MacIntyre Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger Moby Dick by Herman Mellville Barney’s Version by Mordechai Richler
- A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
The Two Alternates:
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
A few of these are on my book club list, so I will have to read, but the others I have simply always wanted to read, even bought or put on my Christmas list, then never got around to in the midst of book club reading and work reading and school reading. This year I will get to them. Do you have a list? There is still time to join the challenge.